Tuesday 5 June 2007

souper dinner

Yesterday I had a massive craving for red food, and I'm not talking meat! So I decided to make roasted red pepper and tomato soup for dinner. By the time I had got home it was about 9ish but by 10ish I was sitting with a big bowl of satisfying red soup. Was the first time I have made it and so was making it up as I went, but it tasted ok. So in case you have a red food night and not sure what to make, here is the recipe (4 servings-ish):

6 juicy red tomatoes
3 plump red peppers
2 shiny white onions
1 or 2 cloves of garlic (depending on your love of the stinky stuff)
Olive oil for roasting and frying
Freshly ground black pepper
Paprika
Herb d provence
A sprinkle of salt
Corn flour to thicken

It's really simple to make (or I wouldn't be doing it) but here is a rough outline. De-seed the peppers and cut them into big chunks. Coat them with a little olive oil and whack them into the oven at 200ÂșC for 20mins. While they are getting a suntan, you can chop up the onions and garlic and get them gently frying in a little olive oil and peal and roughly chop up the tomatoes. Yesterday I was being really lazy and didn't take the seeds out of the tomatoes, but I think it would make it better if I had. When the onions are ready chuck in the tomatoes and let it reduce a bit (depending how hungry you are). When the peppers are done and the tomatoes are reduced, chuck the peppers in too. Top it up with some boiling water or some stock, add your spices and herbs, those are the ones I used but put in whatever you like it’s the creative part after all (if you can call soup creative). Let it simmer for a while (I was hungry last night so I only had the will power to leave it 10mins). Blend to the consistency you like then dissolve a heaped tea spoon of corn flour in some water and add. Let it simmer a bit more to thicken it up and it's done!

I've just noticed that out of four postings, 3 are about food… mmmm… food!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or, for a simpler red dinner (which is what your body /actually/ wanted, but you misunderstood):
* 300g rumpsteak
* pepper
Sizzle quickly both sides of the steak in a very hot frying pan. Serve rear with lots of coarsely grounded pepper. That's it. Enjoy.

Rachel said...

maybe one day they will bring out red tofu ;)

Oliver said...

Better still, save yourself all that cooking time and make a gazpacho!
All that fresh veg, all those vitimins. Yum!
Oh, and you're saving gas and the environment while you're at it :)